- CT Office of the Arts Regional Initiative Grant 2016 forThe Art of Black Dissent
- Finalist for the Tassy Walden Award: New Voices in Children’s Literature, 2013, 2014, and 2015
- Artist Fellowship Grant from the Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD)/ CT Office of the Arts (COA), 2012
- Writer’s Grant from the Anglo Swedish Literary Foundation, London, UK, 2007
-Nordplus Diploma Grant in Nordic Philology, Copenhagen University, Denmark, 1999
- HOLES at the Roundchappel Gallery, Hackney, London. Production by independent theatre company Poemstomyotherself, 2007
- Sentimental at the Royal Court Theatre, London, as a part of the Young Writers Program, 2001
Regarding possible commissions and collaborations, please contact:
I am an illustrator and children’s books author from the South of Sweden, living and working in New Haven, CT.
I get my inspiration from old photographs, poetry, record covers, old and new picture books, things I find in thrift shops, radio documentaries, childhood memories, and crumpled pieces of paper.
After my B.A. in Comparative Literature and Art History from Lund University in Sweden, my determination to work in a museum led me to London, where I lived for eight years and worked at the Serpentine Gallery and at the Tate.
During this time I also made music, wrote plays and started drawing.
Apart from drawing picture books, I make a micro-publication and organize art projects featuring artists and musicians in New Haven and beyond, under the name of Ephemeroptera with Rick Omonte.
I am also the co-founder and facilitator of the pop-up exhibition and dialogue-based museum program The Art of Black Dissent, focusing on the art of the African American liberation struggle from the early 20th century to today.
All illustrations on this site ©Gabriella Svenningsen