- CT Office of the Arts Regional Initiative Grant 2016 forThe Art of Black Dissent
- Finalist for the Tassy Walden Award: New Voices in Children’s Literature, 2013, 2014, and 2015
- Artist Fellowship Grant from the Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD)/ CT Office of the Arts (COA), 2012
- Writer’s Grant from the Anglo Swedish Literary Foundation, London, UK, 2007
-Nordplus Diploma Grant in Nordic Philology, Copenhagen University, Denmark, 1999
- HOLES at the Roundchappel Gallery, Hackney, London. Production by independent theatre company Poemstomyotherself, 2007
- Sentimental at the Royal Court Theatre, London, as a part of the Young Writers Program, 2001
Regarding possible commissions and collaborations, please contact:
I am an illustrator and children’s books author from the South of Sweden, living and working in New Haven, CT.
I get my inspiration from old black and white photographs, modernist poetry, record covers, old and new picture books, things I find in thrift shops, radio documentaries, and crumpled pieces of paper.
After my B.A. in Comparative Literature and Art History from Lund University in Sweden, my determination to work in a museum led me to London, where I lived for eight years and worked at the Serpentine Gallery and at the Tate.
During this time I also made music, wrote plays and started drawing.
Apart from drawing picture books, I make a micro-publication and organize art projects featuring artists and musicians in New Haven and beyond, under the name of Ephemeroptera with Rick Omonte.
I am also the co-founder and facilitator of the pop-up exhibition and dialogue-based museum program The Art of Black Dissent, focusing on the art of the African American liberation struggle from the early 20th century to today.
2015-2016 I was the Artist in Residence at the New Haven Public Library, where I organized weekly workshops, introducing children and young adults from different backgrounds to art and art making.
But most of all I love drawing.
All illustrations on this site ©Gabriella Svenningsen